How do I add an IP to my TeamSpeak Whitelist?
Adding IP addresses to your whitelist lets that IP address connect to your ServerQuery with as many connections as it wants. You need to be very careful with this setting since if that IP becomes compromised there is nothing stopping it from continually attempting to log into the serveradmin account and finally getting in resulting in you losing all control over your server. Please only add IP addresses that you full trust and know are secure. As soon as you no longer trust whoever owns that IP make sure you remove it right away. Before you add any IP to your whitelist ask yourself the following questions.
- Does this IP really need to be whitelisted? - The only time you really need to whitelist an IP is if the IP will send lots of commands continually to the server, a bot is one good example, but something like a viewer is not.
- Do I know without a doubt that this IP is secure secure? - Even some major TeamSpeak viewers don't have secured IP addresses yet have thousands of users. Be very careful who has real control since it gives someone full access to your server.
- Are all the other IP's in the list still secure? - Whenever you update the list make sure you take careful note of any IP addresses that aren't needed anymore always make sure only the absolute necessary IP addresses are added.
How to add the IP into your server whitelist
- Log into your VPS via SSH
- Navigate to the TeamSpeak 3 folder and show all the files.- If you followed our setup for the server then the commands will be:
- Open your file for editing- by default the following will be the name of your whitelist file
- Add each IP on its own line - Each IP will be on its own line be careful to not have any other spaces or line breaks in the file.
- Save and exit - in nano to save and exit you press ctrl+x. It will ask you if you want to save the buffer and you say yes.
- Allow the IP in all firewalls - It is important to make sure you make sure the IP is whitelisted in your firewall. This will make sure that even during attacks where the firewall is working extra hard your IP whitelisted IP always gets through.
- You're all done! - The server will automatically get the new IP from the whitelist after a short period usually an hour or so. If you don't want to wait then you can simply restart your TeamSpeak 3 server.